Housing is responsible for a quarter of the UK’s greenhouse gas emissions. On average a 2 bedroom new build cottage expels 80 tons of Co2 into the atmosphere during its build.
At Knaphouse we wanted to provide and environmentally friendly alternative housing option to everyone, so that together we’re all able to make a genuine positive impact, by moving house construction, and co2 emissions in the right direction.
- Swelling and shrinkage reduced by 75% or more
- Doors and windows open effortlessly year round
- Reduced maintenance costs
- Guaranteed to last a minimum of 50 years above ground, 25 years in ground/freshwater Class 1 durability
- Virtually rot proof
- 70 year minimum service life stated by TRADA
Perfect for Coating
- Improved stability means coatings last up to two times longer
- Easier to coat, less preparation and sanding required.
- Ideal for all decking situations in extreme temperatures
- Low thermal gain
- Splinters are much less than other wood species when used for decking
- Offers improved insulation in comparison with commonly used hardwood and softwood species
- Ideal for applications where energy conservation is important
- Easy to machine and process
- No special tools required
- Indigestibale to a wide range of insects, including termites
- Greatly reduced vulnerability
- Consistent, measurable modification quality from surface to core
- No need to apply chemical preservatives when cut or planed
- Process does not compromise the wood's natural beauty
From Sustainable Sources
- From FSC® and other regionally certified woods
- Naturally renewable
Retained Strength & Hardness
- The process does not compromise the wood's strength
- Hardness is increased
- High strength to weight ratio makes is suitable for challenging applications
Non-Toxic & Recyclable
- Protects the environment from the harmful effect of common treatments
- May be safely reused, recycled and incinerated
When living on-grid, heat is provided through underfloor heating via the immersion tank. We don’t require an additional gas boiler or any other type of heating. Keep it simple!
When living off-grid we use a Klover pellet burner to produce 1.4kw of heat to the room and 10kw of heat to hot water. All with a carbon neutral impact.
Knaphouse has such great insulation properties that we only require a very small amount of internal heat.
We have installed LED, low energy lighting systems throughout, along with AAA+ appliances to minimise our power usage in the Knaphouse.
If you live in an off-grid Knaphouse all your energy comes from solar panels, thermal water heat gain and thermal conductivity within the Knaphouse. Creating no negative impact to the environment.
Additional power, if required can be provided in the form of a wind turbine or hydrogen fuel cell at an additional cost.
Our unique, insulated wall allows us to build the Knaphouse creating significantly lower Co2 emissions than regular housing.
Our insulation is integral to the build of Knaphouse, without it Knaphouse simply wouldn’t exist!
Our insulation will last just as long as your Knaphouse...a very long time.